Getting Back to God, Slowly But Surely

November 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM 8 comments

You think the local political scene is easier? Think again...

You think the local political scene is easier? Think again…

As I’m sure most have noticed, I’ve not been posting as often as I used to do and that was because I was running for an open seat on the city council. God had other ideas and said “No,” which is certainly fine, but I am now left wondering (and asking Him) why I ran in the first place.

I had stated during the campaign that I am not a politician and plan never to become one. Having gone through the process of running, I’ve come away with a much better understanding of how things work – even in small towns – and while I used to think that the average person had a voice at the local level, I’m not so sure of that any longer.

Not to play the “pity me” card (because I really don’t want anyone’s pity), I went into this situation with both eyes open (so I thought). I now realize that I was still blind to the wheeling and dealing that goes on within the political arena. It is not at all pretty, even at the local level. It wasn’t long after I had qualified that I was being attacked by someone I had barely met who considers herself a “citizen activist.” She trotted out my bankruptcy, beating me over the head with it while intoning that I was not fit for a seat on the city council because I obviously couldn’t handle my own financial affairs.

This same woman (after my opponent won) congratulated him on running a “clean” campaign. The trouble is that he didn’t need to worry about running a dirty one since she (and others) took care of that for him. Of course, I was the one who ran a “dirty” campaign when I attempted to defend my record and explain why we were essentially forced into bankruptcy (through a failed business venture due the terribly slumping economy). Didn’t matter though because the dirt had already been flung.

While campaigning, I also learned what numerous people had been told about me (and one other candidate); things that were not true. Again, it didn’t matter because the damage was done.

Though I believe we were well-received by many, the folks who chose and backed my opponent (unbeknownst to me at the time) pulled out the stops to get rid of the current mayor and re-elect those running for the council. My opponent was added to this mix. Unfortunately, this group simply caters to a small group of people who have power. Much of it comes from the fact that they are connected with a specific political group in the county. Anyone who wants to get anywhere in politics either has to please this group or have enough support from otherwise that will overrule the damage they do.

In the end though, I have – once again – realized that God is fully in control. I have no real idea why I ran for city council. I honestly don’t. God either allowed me (in His permissive will) or directed me (in His perfect will) for the purpose of teaching me several things. What those things are, I have actually no idea…yet.

The election is over, but the trashing continues. Apparently, I was supposed to put on a smile and simply take whatever anyone dished out. My attempts to defend myself were seen as “negative.” The people who did the flinging? Not so much.

The question remains: what did God want me to learn? I am as surprised as anyone that I even tried to run for an elected office. I’m not political. I’ve written articles about politics but I don’t enjoy it because they leave me frustrated. There is no real solution apart from God Himself. I would rather write about something theological any day.

Maybe I allowed myself to get caught up in the mentality that says, “As a Christian, I can do a lot of good for Him as an elected official.” No you can’t. Lot failed miserably at it, but maybe he was called into it. Others have tried and rarely been successful.

Today is not the same as it was during Lincoln’s or Washington’s day. Evil is growing across the land and shows no sign of retreat.

I am leaning on God in the hopes He will show me if I made a mistake or if He directed me to do what I did. In either case, I hope and pray the reasons will become clear to me over time.

There is little to no reality in politics. It is a game that people play in order to achieve something; usually for their own benefit.

Pray that God will get through to me with His answer, His purposes, His direction.

I am moving on. I am turning myself over to Him for His leading. I am once again entrusting myself to Him so that He can work in and through me. Would you join me in that prayer? I would really appreciate it.

God bless you.

Entry filed under: Political Correctness, Politically Correct, Politics.

Doctrines of Demons: Evangelical Christians Abandoning Israel For “Palestinians” Life for the Christian is Not Easy and Praise is Quite Possibly the Best Weapon We Have

• 1. marie  |  November 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Fred, we live in a cursed world which has brought us now to the “End Times”.

Where good is called evil and evil called good. Where Truth is hard to come by in the political arena, and in all levels of life. We need to take our rose colored glasses off….and see that we are waking up to a New World Order and The New World religion is the Ark of Oneness…..all paths lead to God, no need of a Savior, no Hell and everyone goes to haven. We were lulled to sleep, believing society is as it was in the 50’s….where people were accountable, where you told the truth, where you didn’t cheat, where people had respect for private property and their elders.Having courtesy and being polite were taught in mostly all households. That is all gone! Our society has completely changed to a society that believes in entitlements and it’s all about me. Where they don’t want to work for a living but want you to work so they don’t have to work. Selfishness reigns along with hate and violence, If you have it I want it, and I’ll take it, or kill you for it. Lying is so common it’s become unbelievable from the White House down.

So to defame you in the race is thought good tactics, what does it matter if they lie about you…..for it serves their purpose. Their hearts are seared, they have no remorse, The end justify the means!

Maybe the Lord wanted you to see first hand that being a Christian and running on truth and what is right, is considered evil in their world. That Christianity will not save or take the world for Christ.That we’ve passed the point of no return in turning this world around for Christ. We are at the end, we are living in the End Times. That as Christians we need to keep our eyes on Jesus, and read His World….all else is sinking sand.

We’re on a sinking ship, we can’t fix it, or mend it, it’s going down and we need to bring others to Jesus before the Rapture comes……our only HOPE is in the Coming of the Rapture! After that Tribulation. It is only in the Second Coming that the world will be changed. This world we live in now is cursed, but when Jesus Comes in the Second Coming He will make things good and right. For the only Peace the world will know is the Peace that Jesus Christ brings!

Hang in there, Fred, you a light that shines in this Dark World.

marie

• 2. modres  |  November 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Hi Marie,

You make some extremely valid points. In fact, the Lord appears to be showing me and teaching a good number of things because of this race.

Quite frankly, I have not felt this free in some time. I am beholden to no one and my allegiance is to God alone.

Thanks for your kind words, Marie! 🙂

• 3. Sherry  |  November 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Count me in on the prayer for you!

After reading, Love is Eternal by Irving Stone I can tell you that it was just as vicious in Lincoln’s day-and it was the Democrats dishing it out back then at that.

God bless you for trying.

• 4. modres  |  November 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Come to think of it, it must have been because Lincoln was eventually assassinated as we know as well as other conservative presidents.

Thanks for your prayers, Sherry – greatly appreciated.

• 5. Charles Huss  |  November 10, 2013 at 3:06 AM

I have always believed that it is impossible for someone to be elected on the state or national level without being at least somewhat corrupt. After all, help is needed to reach that level and that help must be repaid. I did, however, believe that an ethical person could win at the local level but I suppose that is a bit naive.

• 6. modres  |  November 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Unfortunately Charles, it appears to be naive and I have shared the same viewpoint. I’m awake now 🙂

• 7. Doug  |  November 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I’m joining with you in prayer, in Christ.

• 8. modres  |  November 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Thanks Doug!

Donate to Study-Grow-Know 501 (3)(c) Non-Profit)