Oprah as God? Say It Ain’t So…

June 1, 2014 at 4:54 PM 9 comments

oprah_shackMost have heard of the book The Shack, in which God is portrayed by a jolly, elderly black woman. The book’s foundation is Universalism, the belief that all people, regardless of what they’ve done in this life, will spend eternity in heaven. That means of course, that all people will rub shoulders with people like Hitler, Mussolini, every serial killer and rapist you can think of, and millions and billions of others besides. Universalism is based on the concept that a God of love cannot “sentence” people to something called hell and in such a case, our life is often something many consider to be hell.

Another way to look at it, is that because God is pure love, He could never allow people – any person at all – to be separated from Him forever. Therefore, all will be with Him in heaven for all eternity. This belief necessarily skips completely over the concept of justice or even holiness – that God hates sin and cannot allow it in His presence.

At any rate, if you’ve read The Shack, what you read was essentially a “new” version of Universalism. Unfortunately, even a quick look at some of Jesus’ words in the Gospels points to the fact that He believed in hell. In fact, Jesus spoke (and warned) of hell more than any other subject, bar none. He almost seemed desperate to tell people about hell and how to avoid it.

I may be making some of you uncomfortable, but the reality is that all people will need to deal with this question for themselves and they’ll need to do it before they die. Books like The Shack provide a way to deal with it while not making a person feel “condemned” or even “uncomfortable.” The problem is what is being taught? Is it truth or not? Each person will have to decide for him/herself.

Whenever I come across something that turns the world upside down and people cannot get enough of it, I tend to think there is something wrong with it. At the very least I’m willing to question why everyone is so blindly gullible? What is this new thing offering that wasn’t there before?

It’s the way I felt not only with The Shack, but with Barack Obama when I began to see him become elevated in the press. The way the average person began to gravitate toward Mr. Obama was weird to me. People were starting to refer to him as something “special.” Then he became the “Messiah.” He could do nothing wrong and was a perfect specimen, blah, blah, blah. I’m sorry, no one is that good unless of course they are the Messiah. Sorry to break it to you, but President Obama is not the Messiah, though he himself may well think that.

It was the same with the Harry Potter series. Why was that series of books so lionized? How could a woman who had been on public assistance all of a sudden write a smash best-seller? It wasn’t just one book either and we’re not talking 100 to 200 pages. We’re talking 309 pages for first book, 341 for second, 435 for third, 734 for fourth, 870 for fifth, 652 for sixth, and 759 for the seventh (US editions). How does that happen?

So why am I telling you all of this about The Shack? Simple. For those who don’t like to read and need the visual, Summit Entertainment, along with Forest Whitaker, Idris Elba, and…wait for it…Oprah Winfrey (presumably as the jolly, black version of God) are going to be turning this book into a movie. Isn’t that just…swell?

The problem with The Shack – from a theological perspective – is manifold. I have a Bachelor in Bible, a Masters in Biblical Studies, and a Doctorate in Theology. While I certainly do not know everything about the Bible (and don’t claim to), I do understand more than basic doctrine and theology. I have studied Greek and am currently taking more Hebrew. The theological ideology of The Shack is one that is filled to the brim with theological problems, if we are basing that work on the Bible. This is the case, loosely speaking.

From a Christian perspective, The Shack is filled with heresies. In all the generations of church history, councils, debates, etc., anything even remotely smacking of the type of theology put forth as it is being put forth in The Shack, was almost always considered anathema to the truth presented in Scripture.

But do you think with Oprah Winfrey attached to the project, things will be different? Of course they will. Oprah has introduced every New Age “theologian” she can think of on her show and was quoted as saying that there cannot possibly be only one way to God. For someone like Winfrey, a project like The Shack will be fully embraced and given the hard sell.

I know where God is concerned, people want to hedge their bets. Even ex-Mayor Michael Bloomberg recently said that if there is a God, he will welcome him to heaven with open arms (my paraphrase) ostensibly because of all the “good” work he has done trying to eliminate the 2nd Amendment.

The world is becoming so dumbed down because of Cultural Marxism that the only way people know how to make choices and decisions anymore is via emotional virtue. It’s all based on how a person feels about something. If they feel good to great, it’s got to be the right/correct decision. If they feel bad to terrible about something, then they feel they should reject it and do. That is emotional virtue.

People have stopped using their intellect combined with critical thinking skills. Why? Because they lack critical thinking skills so their intellect has taken a huge hit. The only thing they’re left with is determining how they feel about something.

Many will welcome the movie, The Shack with open arms. It will move them and because of that, tell them that what The Shack teaches is truth. That’s not the way it works, but too many people are beyond being told anything these days. We are devolving and most seem to prefer it.

It’s a very sad time for humanity.

Entry filed under: Eastern Mysticism, emergent church, new age movement, Political Correctness, Politically Correct, Religious - Christian - Theology. Tags: , , , .

Lies Are Quickly Being Accepted as Truth in Today’s Society Did Jesus Speak Hebrew? Pope Says No – Bibi Says Yes

• 1. Conrad  |  June 6, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Yes but not the same as you seem to be.

• 2. modres  |  June 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Okay, explain to me what exactly has been explained to you – any Scripture used – and what you were told about becoming a Christian. The more I know about your background, the better. By the way, where are you from?

I’m a bit surprised that you’re reaching out to me – not that I mind – which makes me think that there is absolutely no one in your area that can provide a clear understanding of what it means to be a Christian?

• 3. Conrad  |  June 7, 2014 at 5:25 AM

Alot has been explained to me, by many people. I find people tend to try and refute what others have already told me instead of simply stating their beliefs. You have done so in other posts/replies which is why I asked in my first comment that you assume I was a blank slate. I would like to hear what you believe so I can consider it on it’s own merits. Not compare it or have you compare it with any other beliefs. You make good points and much of what you say is well thought out etc which is what made me interested in knowing your beliefs in the first place. However I only want to know your beliefs, not be the centre of an argument/disagreement between you and anyone else I have talked to. I have had plenty of experince at that as I have talked to people and it has only ever helped me learn what not to be like. Please can you simply explain things to me then I can see for myself. I believe the truth should stand on it’s own and not need to be tied in any way (even by comparison ) to anything else. The opposite of truth must be untruth and there is a devide between them that cannot change, truth will stand reguardless of untruth. Some of what others have told me has been untruth, that much is obvious. If what you say to me is true then what others have said is pointless so why bother with it. If you can’t explain your beliefs to me without knowing what others have said then I would have to assume they don’t stand on their own and must be tied to the untruths of others.
        I do have a copy of the bible so feel free to ask me to look up verses etc.

• 4. modres  |  June 7, 2014 at 8:04 AM

I will send you some detailed information to you email address. It’s too long to place here.

In a nutshell, it all boils down to Jesus. Do you believe He is God in the flesh? Do you believe His death serves as a propitiation (satisfactory atonement) for your sin? Do you believe you are a sinner? Do you believe your “good” works are enough to save you from an eternal separation from God?

Either Jesus is God as Man, He lived a perfect sinless life, He offered His life as an atonement for you, He died on the cross with God the Father’s wrath poured out on Him (instead of on us), He rose from the grave three days later conquering death, He ascended some 50 days later – or He did none of these things. You have to answer those questions for YOURSELF. This is where it all starts. What is your view of Jesus? You don’t need to tell me. Tell yourself.

If you cannot – via faith – comprehend the truth about Jesus, there is no salvation for you. It’s that simple. This is the starting point for everyone – your understanding of Jesus.

I will send you some info to your email box. Read it, study it. Pray. Look for someone in your own area that can help you go through the process. If you died today, what is the most important thing you should know?

• 5. Lester  |  June 2, 2014 at 7:47 AM

I haven’t had allot of time to read the last 15 or so posts Fred. I may be moving soon. Anyway, have you read the statements of Paul, how he counted all his degrees as a member of the Sanhedrin as DUNG?
    As for The Shack, it has been a good read for those suffering great loss. As for the eternal hell theory, the process does not end here in this earthy dimension. Yes it is a very simple book and not very “theological” in scope as you say. Even the most childish reader may glean something of a loving God and not a killing wrathful angry god that is going to send you into a torture for eternity without end for being human! Oh yes you must accept this god’s son or else! Fear is the big stick of Rome and all her daughters! This is anti-Christ! what Jesus said about the grave, Hades, Gehenna and the word hell in the KJV was that it is a place of suffering here and a place of retribution there. Just because one lives a good life and tries to keep the commandments of Moses and maybe just the command to love thy neighbor and God as Jesus said, does not guarantee that one will not see some hell in life and death. God is a consuming FIRE and will burn off all the flesh nature in His own way and His time.
    There is a place between the old fundamentalist mindset and the humanist new age movement where Truth dwells and is progressing into this new day/yom. Only by the Holy Spirit and the discernment in the scripture may we walk into this new day. Old doctrinal dark glass is going away and we will see clearly as we seek Him.

• 6. Conrad  |  June 2, 2014 at 7:12 AM

This comment isn’t specifically related to this post, I simply have a question. Assuming I believe there is a God/Deity/Higher power etc or group thereof ; but have no form of worship and am looking for one. How do you know yours (Christian) to be true as opposed to Hindu, Islam, Buddhist, or any other form of belief and worship?

• 7. modres  |  June 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Hi Conrad,

It’s a good question you ask. How do I KNOW? The answer is by faith. Once God opens a person’s eyes to the truth, then that person either embraces or rejects that truth.

With respect to Christianity vs. every other religion, Christianity is the ONLY ideology where God is said to have incarnated as a human being (while remaining God), lived a sinless life and because of that, became qualified to offer HIMSELF as a propitiation (satisfaction) for sin for all humanity.

We hear a great deal about how God is loving and people often tend to emphasize that to the exclusion of any of God’s other attributes, like holiness and justice.

Because God is as loving as He is, He chose to create a way that would allow human beings to return to Him after the fall. But the fact that He is holy and just will simply not allow Him to set aside His wrath toward sin. It must be dealt with once and for all.

The breaking of the law (God’s moral code) required the shedding of blood because life is in the blood. The only other way would be for people to live sinless lives. That is impossible since all people inherit what God refers to as a sin nature – a nature that tends to sin. We are born that way – with a sin nature – and also commit sins.

Jesus – as God – was born into humanity and was protected from inheriting a sin nature. In effect, He was the Second Adam. He spent His life submitting Himself to the Father and rejecting every temptation to sin.

He died on Calvary’s cross and though He was without sin, He literally became sin so that we might share in God’s righteousness (2 Corinthians 5:21). Because Jesus BECAME sin (yet He Himself remained sinless), God the Father was able to pour out His wrath on Jesus while He hung on the cross. This satisfied the debt that we owe God.

What is needed then is for each person to – by faith – believe in Jesus as Savior and Lord. It is only through believing in His life, His death, and His resurrection that we come to share in that righteousness. We become born again or born from above as Jesus tells Nicodemus in John 3.

If we compare Christianity with every other religious form, we see nothing like this at all. Every other form of religion has rules that must be lived or an ideology that people must absorb and practice.

A person could be a Buddhist today and something else tomorrow as it’s all based on how a person thinks.

Jesus said He is the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Him (John 14:6).

The simplicity of Christianity is found in starting a literal relationship with Jesus and that happens when we – like the thief on the cross – come to believe who Jesus is and that what He has accomplished for us is actual.

Unfortunately, not all roads lead to the One, True God. Only one road does and it’s through Jesus. He has made salvation available to all, but each person needs to avail themselves of that salvation.

All religions besides Christianity are based on a set of principles. Christianity has as its foundation Jesus Himself. That’s the biggest and most important difference.

Hope this helps.

• 8. Conrad  |  June 5, 2014 at 3:46 AM

Sorry from your reply it is unclear, do you worship God (The father I think if I read what you said right ) or Jesus? And I simply need to believe in Jesus and accept him to get to God? What then?

• 9. modres  |  June 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Conrad, has anyone ever presented the gospel to you?

Donate to Study-Grow-Know 501 (3)(c) Non-Profit)