Personal Request for Prayer

November 8, 2018 at 10:10 AM 27 comments

Life has been hectic for the past month or so and it has become so because of a health issue related to my wife. We learned over a month ago that there was a problem in my wife’s right breast. Originally, they thought it a simple “lunpectomy” would be required; removal of a small portion of the breast material.

After numerous scans including a 3D MRI, it was determined that the area was too large for a lumpectomy. Imagine our surprise when the breast surgeon told us he was recommending removal of the breast. It was a bit of a shock. The doctor indicated that because the nipple and areola were involved, saving the nipple, areola and breast was really not possible, although he was clear that he would do what we wanted and if my wife wanted him to save her nipple and areola, he would do that. If we went that route, radiation/chemo would be required. The result of this is to have a mastectomy (removal of one breast).

The doctor indicated that at present, there was no actual cancer. However, he and the radiologist agreed that if nothing was done, cancer would likely be the result. It’s called Ductal Carcinoma in Sita (DCIS). At present, only the interior of the ducts within the breast were affected, but at some point, it could “break out” of the ducts and affect the entire breast at which point, cancer would be the result.

As you can imagine, we were stunned and didn’t know how to proceed. We met with the plastic surgeon who works in conjunction with the breast doctor and were pleased to learn that this wouldn’t be his first rodeo. In fact, this particular plastic surgeon had pioneered numerous breast reconstruction surgeries in Europe and the United States. It was interesting that he was “coincidentally” in our neck of the woods.

As we met with the plastic surgeon, he reiterated that without radiation/chemo, it would be impossible to save the nipple and areola. There were three lines of attack that he went through with us and the one he believed to be best in this situation is what is known as the DIEP Flap surgery.

In this procedure, the patient’s own fat, a very small section of stomach muscle, and blood vessels are taken from the stomach area resulting in a “tummy tuck.” The fat, muscle, and blood vessels are then placed under the patient’s arm using microsurgery. This allows the newly formed breast to have blood flow and even feeling. Ultimately, what is nice about this is that my wife will have her own skin, her own fat, and her own blood vessels. As long as her body does not reject the “transplant,” things should be fine.

Once the surgery is complete, the healing begins and roughly four to six months later, during a second outpatient surgery, my wife will have her new right breast fine-tuned and a nipple added. The third procedure is to have an areola tattooed on around the newly created nipple.

The first surgery – which occurs tomorrow morning (Friday), will last from four to six hours with a two to three-hour recovery period before she goes to a private room. My wife will spend a few nights in the hospital, either to be released Sunday or Monday.

As anyone can imagine, both of us will feel a sense of loss; my wife because she is losing a part of her body. For me, I’ll feel the loss for my wife.

I’m asking that all prayer warriors join me in praying for tomorrow’s first surgery and recovery period. Would you join me in asking the Lord for the following things:

1. That God would guide the doctors, the surgical techs, the anesthesiologist, and everyone else connected with this surgery, that their expertise and wisdom would do what is best for my wife.
  2. That the transplanted blood vessels, fat, and muscle would not be rejected by my wife’s body. If this happens, then the only other option is to go with breast implants. This would also mean dealing with the left breast to make them both look the same. If the DIEP Flap technique is successful, the plastic surgeon will not have to touch the left breast and he will simply concentrate on forming the new right breast to match the left.
  3. That God, the Great Physician, would provide a smooth healing, one without problems and difficulties.
  4. That God would give me more patience than I’ve ever had so that I can be for my wife what she needs me to be. I welcome the chance to be her servant and her personal valet. That also involves cooking and I’ve already begun practicing.
  5. That God would provide caring, compassionate nurses who will care for my wife after the surgery during her stay in the hospital.

All of the above should be asked for in the mindset of “not my will, but His will be done.” My wife and I are both trusting the Lord as best as we can. We have no idea why this has occurred and may never know in this life. Certainly, my wife’s experience will be beneficial to other women whom my wife may be in a position to counsel. God is in control and whatever happens, we know it is because of His will and tender mercies.

We have to be at the hospital tomorrow morning around 6:00am (EST), for a surgery that may begin around 7:00am. We are so appreciative of the prayers of people in our church and friends. I will be keeping them posted through group texts and will try to update this blog with new information as I can.

I’d like to thank you ahead of time for your prayers, for your commitment to seek the Lord’s will on our behalf. We want more than anything to glorify Him and trust Him for whatever the results happen to be.

I confess that when my wife has to undergo surgical procedures, I tend to get slightly defensive because protecting her is out of my hands. I need obviously to give that to the Lord so that His peace that passes all understanding will guard my heart and mind. Would you pray that for me as well?

We have full trust in the expertise of the two surgeons involved in this surgery. Moreover, we believe God is in charge and will personally oversee.

Women, may I insist that you have mammograms done routinely. If not for that, this would not have been caught early and even in spite of the fact that it was caught early, it is still amazing how quickly it grew from almost nothing to something that is nearly 3″ across and about 2″ wide.

Thank you so much for your prayers. It is greatly appreciated.

Entry filed under: Religious - Christian - Prophecy. Tags: , , , , , , .

Is It This or That? Thank You for Your Prayers

27 Comments Add your own

• 1. Bonnie Culver  |  November 9, 2018 at 9:52 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your wife’s surgery. My friend had this same surgery 7 years ago and it was totally successful. My prayers are with both of you and for a speedy recovery. Thank you for sharing your needs. Bonnie from Montana.

• 2. modres  |  November 12, 2018 at 12:38 PM

Thank you so much, Bonnie. I am absolutely amazed at what they can do today. The plastic surgeon who operated on my wife has actually pioneered some of these newer breast reconstruction techniques both in Europe and here in the US. And it just so “happens” that he lives and practices only 45 minutes from us. It’s totally due to the fact that God is in charge!

• 3. Charles Huss  |  November 9, 2018 at 5:27 PM

Our prayers are with your wife and with you. I hope everything exceeds your expectations.

• 4. modres  |  November 9, 2018 at 5:32 PM

Thank you, Charles. Surgery was successful and she’s resting in her room now.😎

• 5. Charles Huss  |  November 9, 2018 at 9:57 PM

That’s good.

• 6. Harriët Jonker  |  November 9, 2018 at 6:04 AM

Prayers send and May God Bless you both!

• 7. modres  |  November 9, 2018 at 6:12 AM

Thank you. We do much appreciate everyone’s prayers to our Great Physician.

• 8. Paul H Faruga  |  November 9, 2018 at 5:32 AM

From the UK. My prayers are with you and your family. MARANATHA.

• 9. modres  |  November 9, 2018 at 6:03 AM

Thank you👍🏼!

• 10. rutnerh  |  November 8, 2018 at 11:08 PM

True cancer “cures” have been rare and are best seen as divine miracles, not due to medical interventions that may provide transient regressions leading to typical life extension of months to 5 years in some cancer patients. Note that survival for 5 years is considered a cure even if the patient dies shortly thereafter.
    In contrast, the recent highly effective immunotherapies have achieved higher incidences of virtually complete cancer eradications, thus higher cure rates in a growing number of cancer patients…albeit at enormous expense.
    Read about immunotherapies andvcancer drugs like Keytruda in the book cited in the link from a recent press release:

“And as Wolchok told me: “Immunotherapy is not a free ride.” There are the toxicities that occur when a T-cell response in unleashed. There is also the “economic toxicity” of bespoke cancer treatments that bring about durable remission but cost upwards of $1m. A third concern, especially in rural or underserved sectors, is access to both information and the drugs and drug trials themselves. They’re out there but patients and physicians need to be empowered to ask questions and understand their choices. Several doctors tell me that the goal of treatment, if a cure isn’t possible, is holding on for the next breakthrough. If and when it comes, patients and doctors need to be ready to understand it. “After all,” says Chen, “there’s nothing more useless than therapeutic breakthroughs against cancer that people don’t know about.”

The Breakthrough: Immunotherapy and the Race to Cure Cancer by Charles Graeber. To order a copy for £12.50 (RRP £16.99) go to guardianbookshop.com or call 0330 333 6846. Free UK p&p over £10, online orders only. Phone orders min p&p of £1.99.

• This article was amended on 4 November 2018. Some sentences that were truncated have been restored. It was further amended on 6 November 2018 to reflect the fact that the drug Keytruda was approved for use in 2015, not 2017.”

Bottom line from my perspective as a retired scientist familiar with cancer diagnostic devices: recent modern cancer therapies, even if affordable, are still imperfect requiring miraculous or divine intervention in response to answered prayers.

• 11. modres  |  November 9, 2018 at 4:36 AM

Thank you. My wife does not have cancer but left unchecked would likely become cancer. To remove things in this case means she will not have to undergo chemo/radiation, which can certainly do more harm than good.

• 12. Susan  |  November 8, 2018 at 9:48 PM

Fred, I’ll be praying for your wife and yourself. We have personally known the Lord’s help and comfort in the midst of health trials, especially with the illness and subsequent death of our 17-year old daughter from brain cancer. Our memory of that time is a mix of tiredness, difficulty, and overwhelming love and care from the Lord through other believers.

• 13. modres  |  November 8, 2018 at 10:01 PM

Thank you so much, Susan. It is gracious of other believers to extend their love to us in such a tangible way. Thank you. I’m so sorry for loss you and your husband experienced. I cannot imagine that pain. May the Lord continue to bless and uphold you both.

• 14. William  |  November 8, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Dear Brother,
    Just letting you know that my prayers are with you. I agree that we must always pray for His will to be done, no matter what we are required to endure. As the Word says, we are to suffer so that we may share in His glory. Know then, that somehow, He will be glorified in this. I believe that He will strengthen you and your wife through this. You are in His hands.

• 15. modres  |  November 8, 2018 at 2:42 PM

Thank yo SO much, William. Greatly appreciated 🙏👍🏼

• 16. David Moody  |  November 8, 2018 at 11:53 AM

Praying!

• 17. modres  |  November 8, 2018 at 12:40 PM

• 18. Lynn  |  November 8, 2018 at 11:33 AM

Be assured of my prayers. Even putting it in my phone to be reminded. When one of the Body of Christ is affected, the whole Body is affected.
    Rom 12:15

• 19. modres  |  November 8, 2018 at 11:46 AM

Lynn,

Thank you so much. This is one of the ways that Christians show their love for one another and for God. We love one another because He loved/loves us. When we pray for other brothers and sisters in the Lord who are experiencing difficulties, we are exercising our love for them even though we may not personally know them. Our natural inclination is to want to squirm out from under these situations, but our problems are nothing compared to the all-encompassing sacrifice of our Lord and Savior.

My wife and I are grateful for those Christians who are coming alongside of us to lift us up during this difficult time. God will be glorified as we willingly submit ourselves to Him for His care.

Thank you again. Your expression of love (as with others who have also expressed that they will be praying), is very much appreciated.

• 20. Juliana  |  November 8, 2018 at 11:07 AM

I am pleading with you in Jesus’ name to buy Dolly Webber’s book and do what it says. Your wife DOES NOT HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS HELL! The Blood of Jesus WILL HEAL her! Go to Him in prayer as James 5:14-16 and TRUST AND HAVE FAITH IN HIM AND HIM ALONE!

I pray you will do what I am pleading with you to do. He WILL HEAL HER! HAVE FAITH IN HIM ALONE! PLEASE MODRES🙏🙏🙏🙏

• 21. modres  |  November 8, 2018 at 11:40 AM

Juliana, as someone who was deeply involved in the Charismatic Movement years ago, I’ve been where you are and unfortunately, in spite of what you think about Dolly Webber, she is preaching thoroughly unscriptural tenets. In fact, because of her error, she is admonishing people to NOT get medical help, which may actually save their lives. In that sense then, it appears she is putting God to the test. There is nothing in Scripture – when taken plainly – that supports the notion that God will always heal us. If that were the case, then no one would die. I have researched this with Scripture very carefully and we’ll simply have to disagree on this point. Moreover, Dolly Webber puffs up certain individuals who are known charlatans.

I’m sorry we cannot see eye to eye on this, but it seems apparent to me that Scripture is plain. There is no guarantee that God will heal every time and it does not matter how Webber mishandles Scripture to support her own erroneous conclusions.

Thank you. Please do not write again about this subject and I would also appreciate it if you would study the Scriptures yourself and understand the context in which Jesus made the statements He did and the healings He performed.

You’ve seriously taken James 5:14-16 out of its context to support your belief that God will always heal. He does not do that and He is under no obligation to do so. Certainly, God wants us healthy and a great deal of that is dependent upon how we live and eat. However, we are still fallen creatures, with a sin nature and defective genes. We will not be completely healed until after this life. Paul wasn’t and others were not as well.

I’m sorry we disagree on this subject. I truly wish people understood what is meant by all the healing. The context is ALWAYS “as God wills,” not our will be done. If we are truly His servants, we will WILLINGLY submit to Him even in dark times. God is not our Celestial Genie as you appear to think.

It is just the opposite. We are to constantly SUBMIT to His will for our lives and that will may include persecution, ill health, trauma, and other things. It is the cross we are to bear on a daily, moment-by-moment basis.

Your reference to James 5:14-16 actually refers to rubbing on of oil in a MEDICINAL way. It doesn’t mean anointing a person with a drop of oil here or there on the person’s forehead as many have taught within the Charismatic Movement. It was an actual medical practice during the first century. In the Greek text, anointing with oil refers to medicinal anointing not religious ceremonial anointing.

Moreover, in James’ comments, it seems fairly clear from the original Greek that the person who is ailing and summons the elders of the church does so because of some besetting spiritual problem that has shown itself in the form of a physical ailment. Paul also alludes to this in his letter to the Corinthians. Jesus also warned certain people after healing them that they needed to change their lifestyles or something worse would happen to them.

Elders were called to help the person deal with their spiritual condition, primarily, which, when corrected, would go a long way in correcting the physical problems that they experienced.

Nowhere does James instruct people to call for someone who may have the gift of healing. The elder’s prayer in faith would help restore the person IF that is God’s will. That is always the caveat.

There is no basis in Scripture for the popular idea that praying in faith means praying with confidence that something will happen just because we pray (cf. 1:5-6; 2 Cor. 12:7-10). This is an absolute misunderstanding of the meaning of being in God’s will.

In the people’s minds of the first century, sin and sickness often went together. This is often why when Jesus healed people, He also said to them, “Your sins are forgiven” because it was their sinful lifestyles that caused their health issues on many occasions.

I reject Charismania. It puts God to the test. It rejects the plain meaning of Scripture. I’m sorry we cannot agree on this subject, but I know many wonderful, committed Christian doctors who glorify God in what they do. Ultimately, it is God who heals if He chooses to do so.

Our ultimate healing will come AFTER this life and AFTER our sin natures have been removed.

• 22. Juliana  |  November 8, 2018 at 11:51 AM

Thank you for your reply. Did you read the book?

I am not a ‘Charismatic’, I am born again, spirit filled child of God who is being obedient to Him by asking you to read this book 3 weeks ago. I did this as lead by the Holy Spirit without knowing what I know now.

I will respect your wishes. God alone knows how this will all turn out as He is in control. Blessings.

• 23. modres  |  November 8, 2018 at 12:49 PM

No I watched her video and that was enough. Though you say you’re not charismatic (because you might not speak in tongues), you are still evidencing the same mindset of those w/I the Charismatic Movement. When you say you are being obedient to God are you being obedient in everything He has revealed in His Word or mainly those things based on how you believe your feelings motivate you. I do not believe God is telling you to tell me about Dolly Webber or her book because there are loads of biblical problems with the way she thinks and what she advocates. She will be held responsible for the fact that ppl who needed help did not get it because she teaches that doctors are workers of Satan. This is absurd. Good Lord, if only she understood the damage she is causing.

I appreciate your fervor but I believe it is thoroughly misplaced.

• 24. Dean Baxter  |  November 8, 2018 at 10:20 AM

Sorry to hear of this news my Brother. My wife went through a situation very similar to yours about 5 years ago. Just as a personal testimony my wife is doing well. All of her surgeries and procedures were performed at the Breast Surgery Center on St Charles Avenue in New Orleans a couple of hours from our home. Take care, stay strong and trust God. Praying for your wife’s speedy recovery.  Dean

• 25. modres  |  November 8, 2018 at 10:42 AM

Thank you so much, Dean. Greatly appreciated and great to hear your wife is doing well.

• 26. zionministries  |  November 8, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Your in our prayers, as we pray Gods peace on your family and your wife.

Sent from Steve’s iPhone

• 27. modres  |  November 8, 2018 at 10:42 AM

Thank you so very much! Greatly appreciated.