Seventh-day Adventists – Evangelical Christians?

February 10, 2010 at 12:33 AM 20 comments

Funny how often I have been accused of “throwing stones” since I began writing these Blogs about SDA.  Trouble is, that if I’m throwing stones, then I cannot help but wonder what the people who are objecting to me with their comments are doing.  Nonetheless, I’m going to reprint some information here that comes directly from Ellen G. White and others within the SDA.

If it is incorrect, then I’m happy to correct it, but it needs to be shown to me that it IS incorrect.  Telling me I’m throwing stones is nothing.  It’s a smokescreen.  I would like people to put their theology where their mouth is and that can only occur by reasonable discussion, not rhetoric, attacks, and insinuation.

IF I am incorrect, then I would like some current and practicing SDA adherents to point out WHERE I am mistaken and WHY they believe I am mistaken.  I need these folks to be AS specific as possible.  If people are simply going to tell me I’m wrong, or that I’m throwing stones, save the bandwidth on your Internet connection.  I’ve begin to think that I know far more about SDA than the alleged SDA folks who have contacted me to complain.

Let’s start with some simple statements from Ellen G. White and then we can go from there:
1)  “…Satan has taken full possession of the Churches“. (Spiritual Gifts V.l,p.189-90) They also believe our prayers are an “abomination” to God. (Spiritual Gifts, V1 p.190).

2)  Ellen G. White, and made this statement in their “Ministry” Magazine of Oct. 1981 and have never retracted it: “We believe the revelation and inspiration of both the Bible and Ellen White’s writings to be of equal quality. The superintendence of the Holy Spirit was just as careful and thorough in one case as in the other“.

3)  Regarding SALVATION, Ellen G. White said in the Advent Review and Sabbath Herald of 10-26-1897 this statement, “…The terms of salvation for every son and daughter of Adam are here outlined. It is plainly stated that the condition of gaining eternal life is obedience to the commandments of God“.

4)  Ellen G White issues this warning in The Faith I Live By, page 210, “Every man’s work passes in review before God…Opposite each name in the books of heaven is entered, with terrible exactness, every wrong word, every selfish act, every unfulfilled duty, and every secret sin, with every artful dissembling. Heaven-sent warnings or reproofs neglected, wasted moments, unimproved opportunities, the influence exerted for good or for evil, with its far-reaching results, all are chronicled by the recording angel.”

5)  White has stated, “…Those who are living on the earth when the intercession of Christ shall cease in the sanctuary above are to stand in the sight of a holy God without a mediator. Their robes must be spotless, their characters must be purified from sin by the blood of sprinkling. Through the grace of God and their own diligent effort they must be conquerors in the battle with evil….” (The Great Controversy p. 425).

Here are some additional interesting facts:

SDA’s share their early history with the Jehovah’s Witnesses. An early Adventist, N. H. Barbour co-published with Charles Taze Russell. They had a falling out over (what else?) dates for the end of the world! (1844 and 1874), and parted company.  Both, however, kept heretical doctrines to this day like Jesus being Michael the Archangel, the denial of Hell, and both still advocate soul sleep. Both invented invisible occurrences in heaven for their failed dates for Christ’s visible return, investigative judgment for the SDA’s and Christ’s invisible “presence” for Jehovah’s Witnesses.

There is a Mormon link also for the SDA’s. It is a proven fact that Ellen G. White plagiarized most of her writings. The Church has been challenged by Walter Rea, author of the White Lie to prove that even 20% of her writings are original. They can’t. Their weak defense was that there were no copyright laws in Ellen’s day, so what she did was legal. You will never be told of her plagiarism by the SDA’s.

As Ellen was rising to prominence, Joseph Smith had just died. Her writings contain many phrases used by Joseph Smith. Mind you, he has also been accused of plagiarism. I have a thick file of similarities, but time does not permit details at this time, but it does illustrate just how far her “borrowing” went. You will definitely not be told of her similarities to Joseph Smith at the Seminars!

The above represents just the tip of the iceberg regarding SDA, their origins and their beliefs, largely endowed by Ellen G. White.  For those who think I’m simply entering into superfluous or argumentative harping, I wish I could get you to understand that what I am asking everyone who is part of Seventh-day Adventism to do is KNOW what you believe and WHY you believe it.  It is clear from my study of SDA, that the teachings of Ellen G. White are considered to be equally authoritative and on par with Scripture.  While the individual SDA might not think so, or may never have come in contact with anything that even states that within SDA, that is either because they have not searched enough, or do not want to search enough.

While SDA refers to the rest of us who believe Jesus died for our sin, and that the salvation resulting from His death fully redeems all who believe in His Name, as participants in “cheap grace,” the truth of the matter is that SDA teaches another gospel, one in which a person must earn their way to heaven.  If you are an SDA member, and you think that I am making this up, or ripping things out of context, then check it out YOURSELF.  Do NOT take your church’s word for it OR mine.  PLEASE.  That’s all I am asking.  Your eternal soul hangs in the balance!  Surely, that is worth something to you, is it not?

I am NOT merely tossing around fighting words or arguments.  I am deeply opposed to the false teachings of SDA, which I believe KEEP people from receiving ACTUAL salvation.

For anyone who REALLY wants to learn about SDA (especially if you ARE an SDA member), I would recommend doing some research on your own.  Here is a great place to start:

Beyond this, read everything you can FROM the SDA itself and compare SDA teachings WITH Scripture.  Do not simply take THEIR word for it.  You cannot stand before God one day with the excuse, “The SDA taught me this” because YOU are fully responsible for the decisions YOU make in this life.

Entry filed under: Atheism and religion, Demonic, dispensationalism, Life in America, Posttribulational Rapture, Pretribulational Rapture, Religious - Christian - End Times, Religious - Christian - Prophecy, Religious - Christian - Theology, salvation. Tags: , , , , , , .

Salvation the Seventh-day Adventist Way Demons in Disguise – Update!

• 1. Donald Sass  |  April 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I was born 4th generation SDA, raised until my sophomore year of college (SDA, of course) without personally knowing anyone except my paternal grandparents who were not of “the faith” — not even member of other churches. And yet, by the time I was in 3rd grade at private church school I had become unconvinced by what I was being told to believe. In my opinion, Ellen White was a woman who never met a rule she didn’t like. It seems she took as many laws, rules and regulations from the old testament jewish tradition (without risking being kicked down the stairs by her husband for including circumcision!) as she could scrape together, then took all the christian rules and regulations ever promulgated, and then for extra measure threw in a heap only to be found in her own imagination (e.g., never to imbibe alcohol, not to wear “jewelry,” not to dance and for adolescent boys to somehow control their dreams (!) so as not to evoke erotic images during nocturnal emissions!) and then spent the rest of her ministry ever on the lookout for another legalism to throw onto the impossibly strict heap she’d already created. My response to her, to the Seventh-Day Adventist church and to all of christianity in general has been to totally detach myself from it all, entirely. I have no longer the slightest belief that any of it is other than man-made, and not with benign intent. But I do want to point out that in their hysterical responses to mounting evidence that Ms. White was a plagiarist when that fact first became news, the SDA leaders failed to consider or at least to mention that Ms. White is considered infallible by her followers, and that she claimed to receive her “visions” directly from god. If the god she served was the same one that other christians pay homage to, then that god is supposed to be omniscient—which would mean that “he,” at least, would have known that theft of intellectual property is tantamount to theft of material goods, that it is a breaking of one of his own declared commandments, and one would thinks he’d have thought to speed an angel to her side or in some way to warn her of the error of her ways. He did not. For me, that simple fact forever closed the door on the possibility of her having any greater knowledge of or access to the almighty than I do.

Donald Sass

• 2. modres  |  April 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Hi Donald,

I’m sorry that you have chosen to “detach” yourself from all of it, entirely. There IS truth out there and once White’s errors are seen, it should open the door to the actual truth of Scripture, not some man-made effort to somehow instill salvation via following rules.

As Jesus points out in John 3, salvation is the result of being “born again” or “born from above.” Salvation is not dependent upon what we DO, but what we BELIEVE. Once saved, the Holy Spirit begins to expertly peel away the things from our lives that are detrimental and tend to work against us and our salvation.

You’re right of course, those who are convinced that Ellen G. White is infallible will never give credence to any claims that she plagiarized anything. It’s a shame and a pity.

Thanks for writing and I hope and pray that someday, the Lord will open your eyes to His truth and that you will fully embrace it.

Lord bless,
      Fred

• 3. Eric L. mckinley  |  April 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM

As the growth of ‘cults’ has been so great in recent years here in Peru, I am trying to draw up a table of their beliefs to showi the contrast to Biblical Christianity. Hopefuly this will help some people seriously sort out the chaff from the wheat. I did meet two pastors of distinct branches of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. (Perhaps the largest non-Roman Catholic grouping in Peru, certainly one of the largest.) Though on two different occasions, both approached me with the expression “brother.” (of course in Spanish.) I have the practice of determining whether one is truly my brother in Christ, as I also love to use this expression of love and unity. In the first case I got the reply to my question “what is the foundation of your assurance that you are a Christian? Is it the grace of God received by faith alone, or is it grace and works, that saves. The first replied, One must also work to be saved!” We parted with him continuing to call me, brother, but sadly I being unable to do so on the basis of Eph. 2.8,9 The second was the pastor of a large Adventist church in the city. He also approached me with the same greeting, calling me, brother. We sat down and I put the same question to lhim. He replied, “It is the grace of God received by faith that saves…from beginning to end!” I was delighted and extended my hand calling him “brother.” Some would say I was to hasty but I was deeply touched by his testimony. He then went on to say that he was planning a series of messages in his church on the subject of “faith alone,” and was meeting with opposition. The safest and most charitable conclusion to draw is that despite official Adventist doctrine there are those within the movement who are born again and thus members of the Body of Christ. Having said that one must be careful to base one’s conclusion on the only solid foundation, the infallible Word of God. Isa. All cults have their foundation in something more than that sure Christian foundation. They are all part of man’s rebellion against God’s absolute authority. They have never truly confessed Him as Lord. May God grant us much discernment in these perilous times.

• 4. modres  |  April 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Thanks for your comments and insight.

• 5. Eric L. mckinley  |  April 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM

The Christian to day is “legally subject to Christ.” 1 Cor. 9.21 His Lordship revealed in the Word is the basis of our obedience. It is not the law as given to Moses that determines that obedience. Indeed, the law was given to “put the entire world guilty before God and to shut every mouth of pride and arrogance against God. Rom. 3.19 To break the law in one point is to be guilty of all the Bible teaches us. Who then can keep
        the law! But as we come under His grace and learn subjection to Him, our loving and wonderful Lord and Saviour, this changes the picture entirely. I am not depending upon my “obedience to a set of laws given to the nation of Israel” under the old covenant, but I am a new creation in Christ Jesus “old things have past away and all has become new. 2 Cor. 5.17 I have nothing to do with the Sabbath under that New Covenant, that belongs to the old order and is relative to the nation of Israel, and not the Church, something wonderfully new in God’s dealings with mankind. “More has been gained by the cross than was lost by the Fall!” The believer is Christ and not in Adam. And may I add just from a very obvious standpoint, the First Century Christians who discovered the wonder of His grace toward them, soon left behind the old order and came into the New. No where do we find the believers gathering on the
        7th day, but on the 8th day, the Lord’s Day, a day of new beginnings. The typology is thrilling in as much as we are “now seated with Christ in the Heavenlies! Eph. 2. That is all due to His grace. Why a true believer in our Lord Jesus wants to keep himself under the old order of the law, is beyond me. However there have always been those who are “zealous of the Law” and no doubt it will continue to the end. such are missing out on the full wonder of His grace toward us. My dear friends, turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in his wonderful face and the bondage of the law will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace. May we all grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ!

• 6. Chris Kelly  |  March 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

And what of Seventh Day Baptists???

• 7. modres  |  March 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Those who place an inordinate emphasis on resting the seventh day miss the point entirely, in my view.

God’s moral code must be obeyed – yes, but Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath and as His followers, we are not confined to one day of worship. Every day should be a day of worship to Him, period.

If you’re going to look outside of God’s moral code for laws to obey, you had better be prepared to follow ALL 613 laws, not just a few.

• 8. Chris Kelly  |  March 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I have been an SDA minister. I believe that Ellen White was a sincere lover of Jesus who, like many in our own day such as T D Jakes and others – who for instance – deny the trinity and yet are accepted as being okay, believed fresh revelation had been given. Of various aspects of this only time will tell. What of my local brother in Jesus, a pastor in the Assemblies of God who believes that unless you speak in tounges you cannot know the fullness of God? It does not make him or his church a cult, just a little mis-guided on a point or two. I hold dear the words of Augustine (another questionable christian?) – “In the essentials we need unity, in the non-essentials we need liberty and in all things we need charity”. As Jesus said, “If they are not working against us then leave them alone.”

Chris Kelly.

• 9. modres  |  March 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM

While you may believe what you do about Ellen White, there are many of us who believe there are major problems with her theology.

Regarding T D Jakes, he’s another one with major problems in doctrine and theology. He’s not fine as far as I’m concerned.

I chose to write about SDA because it is a system. While Jakes has followers – who apparently cannot think for themselves or go to Scripture – the SDA system is just that a system that redefines Jesus and therefore salvation.

I have no problem writing in opposition to Jakes and maybe one day I will. I have no problem calling out error wherever I see it.

In the end, there is a big question as to whether or not SDAs are working FOR or AGAINST Christianity.

• 10. 8thday4life  |  November 24, 2011 at 7:22 AM

I also find it intereting that those who attempt to dispute these types of posts do so on personal accusations rather than discussing content.

• 11. margaret  |  November 23, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Why do christians fight with christians? This is what keeps all the churches empty, regardless of denomination. Young people are leaving churches in an alarming number. It’s easy to see why. Didn’t Paul say we are all at a different level of knowledge? And if we do not agree, keep it between you and God..He will make it clear. John said a sign that we belong to God is our love for one another. I do not see that in the church. I am 71 years old and have been active in Children’s Ministry since 1968. It is very discouraging to see the body of Christ divided and fighting. Let God judge His own servants. Worship to the best of your ability and let others do the same. Jesus will bring His flock into one fold. Worry about your spiritual standing and allow God to work with the rest. All Christians have the H.S. and He is their teacher. I’m sure you know where to find that Scripture. Please stop dividing the Body.

• 12. modres  |  November 24, 2011 at 5:57 AM

I am not dividing the Body, no more than Paul did when he (or John, or Jude, or Peter, etc.) fought against what they believed to be another gospel.

The problems surrounding the origins and teachings of Seventh-day Adventism are myriad. The main problem is the issue of salvation.

Ellen G. White has some “interesting” beliefs to say the least.

In reality, I am the one who has been told by a number of SDAs that I am going to hell because I worship on Sunday and there are a number of leaders within the SDA movement that hold to this heretical teaching.

There are certainly things we can agree to disagree on, however, the issues that the Seventh-day Adventist sect bring to the fore essentially focus on a works salvation and the accusation that those who do not worship on Saturday are not saved.

While I DO realize that not all Seventh-day Adventists believe what I have just indicated, it is a large enough belief among many that warrants a rebuttal.

I’m sorry that it offends you, Margaret, but the reality is that it was the SDAs who threw the first stone here. All I am trying to do is rebut what I believe to be ERROR.

I would ask that with the same amount of enthusiasm you have chided me, you would do the same for those in your sect who accuse people like me of not being saved.

Until Seventh-day Adventism decides to clean its own house, then telling me I need to clean mine is inappropriate.

• 13. 8thday4life  |  November 24, 2011 at 7:19 AM

One of the most frustrating things for those of us who leave Adventism on Scriptural grounds is the lack of understanding evangelicals have about this group. They have put on such a convincing veneer of “we believe like you we just go to church on a different day.” When I tell my Sunday church friends what SDAs actually believe their eyes get big and their mouths drop open. A false gospel is not Christian. It is falehood that divides not the simple truth of Jesus.

• 14. Simon  |  March 16, 2011 at 7:35 AM

With respect, this article is nothing more than Proof-Texting (Quote-Mining). One can do that to any author, including novelist and Biblical authors, to make this sound crazy.

As requested, for a detailed response by a current practicing Adventist, quoting references from current and official Adventist sources (i.e. not simply saying ‘I think this is wrong etc), I suggest readers see visit:

• 15. modres  |  March 16, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Simon, the same could be said about your comments. I fully realize that there are a variety of opinions regarding Seventh-day Adventism (you said it yourself). I am also well aware that experts on the cults disagree as to whether or not Seventh-day Adventism is a cult or not. Further, because of the variety of opinions involved in it (yours included), my comments are based on the general view of Seventh-day Adventism.

I will leave your URL up, but as for your multitude of other responses, I’m not going to post those here simply because you are doing the exact same thing that you are accusing me of doing. You are cutting and pasting. Moreover, I did not place this (or any) information on Seventh-day Adventism up to enter into a debate. I placed the info up because what I placed up is true and believed by many within SDA.

I have been told to my face that if I do not worship on Saturday, I have taken the mark of the beast, therefore I am going to hell, etc.

There is little point in debating things here. My goal is to inform and I believe I am doing that. By allowing you to place that URL up in your post, then all sides of the issue are represented. You are always welcome to start your own blog in defense of your own viewpoints.

Here’s an example from my perspective: I believe in the PreTrib Rapture. Because of that, I am constantly accused of being deceived and on my way to hell. I spent a good portion of time attempting to debate that issue and prove my position. It doesn’t work. In fact, it led me to publish a book called “Apologetics Never Saved Anyone!” because it is true. People debate and debate and to what end?

Jesus never debated. He stated. If I am wrong about SDA and you are fully convinced that you are saved, then there should be nothing I can say that would dissuade you from that belief.

When you first disagreed with me, you said I should actually TALK to people in my area, not simply address what I had HEARD about SDA. Because I have stated that I have actually studied the situation, now you are accusing me of simply cutting and pasting.

Simon, what I have learned is that people believe what they want to believe and when they arrive at their positions, there is no changing their minds. What you and I would be doing is simply debating for the sake of debating. I’m not interested.

• 16. 8thday  |  April 21, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Brent,
    I know there are other former SDAs in Lincoln. One has been very active writing, and been published in Proclamation and some other publications, and teaches a class at an evangelical church now. You may or may not be interested in an online forum that has been a huge support family for me. http://www.formeradventist.com/
    People there could connect you to others in Lincoln.

Leaving cults is traumatic and when it causes family issues like yours, the pain is double. I will be praying for you and that you will find some genuine Christian support. Often other Christians have no way to understand what you are going through or where you have been, but real ones will love and welcome you.
    Thank God that you have seen truth, even if you have to give up much to follow it. You are in good company!

• 17. modres  |  April 21, 2010 at 10:30 AM

My heart goes out to you, Brent! It must be difficult to not only be told that YOU are the one who is deceived/wrong, but that you are not able to see your own son.

This is tragic, but it is the norm for those who wake up to the falsehoods of cults.

I will continue to pray for you.

PS – I’m very glad you stopped by to comment. It reminds me that I need to be putting out more information on cults like this.

• 18. Brent Baum  |  April 21, 2010 at 10:17 AM

You’re dead on! For several years I went to an SDA church and married a woman I met who is one, but for the entire time I went there I never actually heard anyone mention that they think they are THE “remnant church” or actually test any of Ellen G. Whites supposed prophecies. Why? Because they’re false (like Jesus returning within months of her writing, or slavery returning to the South…obviously neither happened) and if not false then plagiarized as up to 80 percent of her writing on health have been shone to be.

I’m all for going to church on Saturday if you want, but to do so because you think every church that doesn’t is somehow under the control of Satan…that’s totally un-Christian.

So, here I sit in Lincoln, NE having been told to leave since I’m not much into being brainwashed, basically shut out of my sons life (who was only one when my wife told me to leave, he’s now three), and told that every site that actually shows the ignorance of Ellen G. White is…yep, under the control of Satan.

Thanks for making this page, it’s good to see I’m not the only one who sees the SDA church for what it is…a cult.

• 19. modres  |  March 13, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Hi!

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them and the quote from Ellen White herself.

Stones do not bother me. Through the years and the trials that come during those times, the Lord has provided me with a thick skin. I am grateful for it.

If people would only realize that what we want is for them to know the truth. If they DID realize this, they would likely not be so quick to toss stones. It is because they throw stones that they have not yet come to the point of realizing that they may in fact, be exercising faith in ERROR.

If there is one thing that prompts me to have this BLOG, write books or any of that is because when it comes to salvaton, there is ONLY one way and I want people to know that.

Thanks again.

• 20. 8thday4life  |  March 13, 2010 at 12:28 PM

THANK YOU!! I gather you have never been one?? It is SO difficult to find evangelicals who are willing to really see this for what it is. I was raised one – father was a pastor, mother’s family is/was deeply entrenched. In all my years in their schools and various churches, I have never been in ANY SDA environment where Ellen White could be tested, questioned, or disagreed with. No matter what they claim about her – this is the actual practice unless you find a very liberal church that tries to pretend she does not exist at all.

Many dear wonderful people in there I love and my heart is broken for them to be free. But it IS A CULT.

Here is another great quote for you:

“We are not to receive the words of those who come with a message that contradicts the special points of our faith. They gather together a mass of Scripture, and pile it as proof around their asserted theories. This has been done over and over again during the past fifty years. And while the Scriptures are God’s word, and are to be respected, the application of them, if such application moves one pillar from the foundation that God has sustained these last fifty years, is a great mistake.” Ellen White – Councils to Writers and Editors, p. 28-32…

Great job here – you are ON TARGET 100%! I have also been accused of throwing stones. I’m sorry – but truth matters! Jesus and the Apostles warned repeatedly of false teachers and prophets. We must learn to discern.

Our Books on Amazon